A Brief History of Dixie High School

A Brief History of Dixie High School


1911           St. George Academy established


1913           First “DIXIE” on the Sugarloaf.

                   School takes on the nickname of “DIXIE.”


1914           “Dixie Day” tradition begins.


1925/1928  Basketball team wins State, goes to Chicago.

                  Name “FLYERS” resulted from their speed on the ball floor.


1957-58      State Champions in Football and Basketball, undefeated seasons led by Coach Walt Brooks.


1958           “JETETTES” organized.


1963-64      The College moves to new campus.

                   Dixie High School stays at Woodward.

                   Diamond “D” Awards Established.


1965-66                   School Hymn written.  Words by Mary Phoenix and Music by Scott Gentry.


1966-67                  New Dixie High School at our 350 East 700 South location.


1989-90                  “Freddy Flyer” Mascot Introduced.


1991-93                  Academies introduced at Dixie High School.


1994-95                  Dixie won five State Championships:  Golf, Boys and Girls Tennis, Baseball and Girls Soccer.


2001-02                  Flyer Stadium renamed “Walt Brooks Stadium.”


2004-05                  New three-story building for Dixie High is dedicated, with natural-spring water feature.